jobs & salaries

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 23:24:47 MST 2005

I'm going to jump on Vic's bandwagon here a moment. When I'm involved in a
hiring, I'm far more interested in how smart and how trainable a person is
vs. the skillset they are bringing in. Yes, I want to know that they've done
cool / interesting stuff but I'm not hung up on what that was exactly.
 It's been my experience that people rarely end up doing 'the job they were
hired to do' and your best bet is to get someone with a brain and some drive
and do the best to hold onto them long enough that they produce for you.
 Re: Best Unix debuggers, I'm surprised no one mentioned TotalView.
 Re: Open Source jobs.. Sure they aren't as easy to come by as M$ ones, but
the market looks better for them then it did ten years ago and there are
lots of people out there making a living working in Perl, PHP, Ruby, Python
and all manner of other non-Microsoftian methods of coding.
 Micah