too many choices (distros)

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 15:26:34 MST 2005

--- Kenneth <madhse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   This is not a complaint. I enjoy the choices;
> it's
> > kinda like being single again... just kidding.
> >
> >   I've been using Fedora for a while now. It just
> > leaves me a little unsatisfied in some areas
> > sometimes.
>
> I have heard a lot of complaints about the newer
> Fedora.  I had problems just
> installing it, which I've never seen with any other
> distro.  But I don't have
> enough experience with it to be able to say it isn't
> good...

My neighbor got a lot of headaches from FC4, but it
saved my a LOT of headache. I guess you mileage may
vary applies here. It's been good for me and yes it
has taken effort sometimes.

> >   So I have to admit I find myself being tempted
> by
> > other distros though. OpenSuse should be released
> > before too much longer; Mandriva 2006 is close to
> > release. SimplyMepis 3.3.2 is also close to
> release. I
> > keep wondering what I'm not seeing that makes
> Ubuntu
> > so popular. ..and there's the temptation to get
> really
> > hot-n-heavy with Slackware or Gentoo. Some of
> these
> > I've fooled around with in the past. Does this
> make me
> > a distro gigilo?
> >
> >   How about a little banter about distros? What
> are
> > you using and why? Anyone consider things like
> boot
> > time, trimness of the distro, included soft
> packages &
> > version, window manager?
>
> I am currently using Mandriva LE2005 for almost all
> my computer stuff (except
> the occasional game :)  It does everything I need
> and I've had no problems
> with it.  I have Gentoo installed on the other
> machine, but I have not spent
> much time with it.  Gentoo seems to be a good choice
> for someone who likes to
> tinker, get that last ounce of performance out of
> the system, and doesn't
> minde the time (and wear and tear on the disk
> drives) of compiling everything
> in order to install it.  If you go that way, I would
> recommend a good look at
> the documentation on their website before
> installing.  You'll help yourself
> out a lot if you know what to expect before
> starting.
>
> I tend to stick with what has worked for me, and I
> haven't tried as many
> different distros as others have :)

I read an artilce saying they clocked mandriva 2006 at
26 seconds for boot. It's got me thinking. Will
probably try to speed up FC4 before I think too hard
about it.