too many choices (distros)

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 15:00:27 MST 2005

--- Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   This is not a complaint. I enjoy the choices; it's
> kinda like being single again... just kidding.
>
>   I've been using Fedora for a while now. It just
> leaves me a little unsatisfied in some areas
> sometimes.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the newer Fedora.  I had problems just
installing it, which I've never seen with any other distro.  But I don't have
enough experience with it to be able to say it isn't good...

>   So I have to admit I find myself being tempted by
> other distros though. OpenSuse should be released
> before too much longer; Mandriva 2006 is close to
> release. SimplyMepis 3.3.2 is also close to release. I
> keep wondering what I'm not seeing that makes Ubuntu
> so popular. ..and there's the temptation to get really
> hot-n-heavy with Slackware or Gentoo. Some of these
> I've fooled around with in the past. Does this make me
> a distro gigilo?
>
>   How about a little banter about distros? What are
> you using and why? Anyone consider things like boot
> time, trimness of the distro, included soft packages &
> version, window manager?

I am currently using Mandriva LE2005 for almost all my computer stuff (except
the occasional game :)  It does everything I need and I've had no problems
with it.  I have Gentoo installed on the other machine, but I have not spent
much time with it.  Gentoo seems to be a good choice for someone who likes to
tinker, get that last ounce of performance out of the system, and doesn't
minde the time (and wear and tear on the disk drives) of compiling everything
in order to install it.  If you go that way, I would recommend a good look at
the documentation on their website before installing.  You'll help yourself
out a lot if you know what to expect before starting.

I tend to stick with what has worked for me, and I haven't tried as many
different distros as others have :)