dd anyone?

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:19:24 MST 2005

Robert N. Eaton wrote:
> To those of you who replied:
>
> Alan Dayley:  I keep forgetting 1k actually means 1024.  I had tried
> (among others) dd if=/home/bob/My_Documents/SBM/sbm.bin of=/mnt/floppy0
> bs=1440k.  This, of course, didn't work. When I tried ... of=/dev/fd0
> bs=1440k, that didn't work either.
>
> Darrin Chandler: Using ... of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 worked, producing a
> bootable floppy of Smart Boot Manager. (Yay!)
>
> Mark Davis: Didn't use ... of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=256 as the above
						count=216?
> suggestion worked. What does count=256 accomplish? I don't speak manpage
> very well, and I have yet to take advanced courses in either cryptic or
> arcane.  Thanks for the reference to Schroder's "A Linux Cookbook."
> "Running Linux, 3rd Edition" has a copyright date of 1999; ancient
> history in this fast moving field.
As I said, the copy of SBM I have is 108K. Floppies are written in 512
Byte blocks. 108 x 1024 = 216 x 512. Writing only the 108K needed is a
lot faster than writing the whole floppy.

Yes, Linux CAN seem cryptic & arcane to those who only know point &
click. AFIK, ALL of the local community colleges offer classes in
Unix/Linux--look for CIS126 at a school near you. I agree that man pages
can be confusing--that's why I own and regularly use O'Reilly's "Linux
in a Nutshell".

Mark Jarvis

> Kenneth: You were absolutely right, my .iso was hosed. Wouldn't install,
> even with the help of Smart Boot Manager. (Boo!)
Once again--are you SURE that you correctly copied an iso -->AS AN
ISO<-- to the CD?

-mj-