dd anyone?

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 09:41:15 MST 2005

--- "Robert N. Eaton" <moth28 at cox.net> wrote:

> To those of you who replied:
>
> Alan Dayley:  I keep forgetting 1k actually means 1024.  I had tried
> (among others) dd if=/home/bob/My_Documents/SBM/sbm.bin of=/mnt/floppy0
> bs=1440k.  This, of course, didn't work. When I tried ... of=/dev/fd0
> bs=1440k, that didn't work either.

The blocksize isn't required, and not specifying one will default to 512 I
believe. This is very slow on a floppy, but should always work.

> Darrin Chandler: Using ... of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 worked, producing a
> bootable floppy of Smart Boot Manager. (Yay!)
>
> Mark Davis: Didn't use ... of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=256 as the above
> suggestion worked. What does count=256 accomplish? I don't speak manpage
> very well, and I have yet to take advanced courses in either cryptic or
> arcane.  Thanks for the reference to Schroder's "A Linux Cookbook."
> "Running Linux, 3rd Edition" has a copyright date of 1999; ancient
> history in this fast moving field.

Count simply tells dd how many blocks of the given size you want to write. If
you know the size of the image, it doesn't hurt, but if no count is
specified, it will write until done, which is usually what you want anyway.