Why do I use Linux?

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Mon Nov 28 07:49:54 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 12:54, KE7FEG wrote:
> --- Ric Whitney <rw at xend.net> wrote:
>
> > Invoked by June Tate's reply to my post on the 1984
> > thread:
> >
> > I was never much into Sci-Fi.  The closest I ever
> > got was LOTR and Thomas
> > Covenant.  I used to be a Handyman.  I read a lot of
> > Shakespeaere and Dickens -
> > the classic stuff.  I started using Windows 3.1 in
> > 95, when I got my first
> > computer - a 386 something or other.  As early as 96
> > I bought a copy of Redhat
> > 5.2.  I guess I became disillusioned with the whole
> > Windows thing very quickly.
> > I'm still left to ponder my reasons for even showing
> > an interest in Linux in the
> > first place.  I installed Redhat 5.2 - couldn't get
> > any kind of dialtone (had
> > dialup til August 99 when my son was born.) . What
> > did /, /usr, /var, /etc
> > mean?
> > I was stuck to C:\.  I'm not sure where I'm going
> > with this, just that I seem to
> > be somewhat ignorant in light of June's post - she's
> > so intelligent.  I realise
> > that we're all ignorant - only on different subjects
> > (Will Rogers).  I'm fairly
> > intelligent when it comes to book lernin'.  I just
> > can't figure out why I turned
> > to Linux like I have.  Can anyone enlighten me? ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for listening!
> >
> > Ric Whitney
>
> ================
>
> Because I don't have a copy of M$ that I can load! And
> LINUX does most everything I want straight from a live
> cd's. This machine's hd died and I removed it. Running
> Puppylinux or Knoppix from cdrom, and I am here,   FREELY

Another thing I like: Linux does not treat you like a criminal!  You
don't have to "activate" on-line to have the privilege of using software
you already paid for.  These days, you don't seem to ever even get a
Windows CD with a system any more - you might be tempted to install it
on another machine, or - horrors! - resell it when your machine is
scrapped.

Linux also doesn't try to keep you from using your own property.  For
example, my sister has an HP running XP, and its hard drive has been
giving her messages about imminent failure.  I installed a new drive and
copied everything over using "dd", set all the flags, etc., and the
danged thing still won't boot from the new drive.  I suspect it's some
sort of anti-piracy thing.

Vaughn