Why do I use Linux?

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 12:54:15 MST 2005

--- Ric Whitney <rw at xend.net> wrote:

> Invoked by June Tate's reply to my post on the 1984
> thread:
>
> I was never much into Sci-Fi.  The closest I ever
> got was LOTR and Thomas
> Covenant.  I used to be a Handyman.  I read a lot of
> Shakespeaere and Dickens -
> the classic stuff.  I started using Windows 3.1 in
> 95, when I got my first
> computer - a 386 something or other.  As early as 96
> I bought a copy of Redhat
> 5.2.  I guess I became disillusioned with the whole
> Windows thing very quickly.
> I'm still left to ponder my reasons for even showing
> an interest in Linux in the
> first place.  I installed Redhat 5.2 - couldn't get
> any kind of dialtone (had
> dialup til August 99 when my son was born.) . What
> did /, /usr, /var, /etc
> mean?
> I was stuck to C:\.  I'm not sure where I'm going
> with this, just that I seem to
> be somewhat ignorant in light of June's post - she's
> so intelligent.  I realise
> that we're all ignorant - only on different subjects
> (Will Rogers).  I'm fairly
> intelligent when it comes to book lernin'.  I just
> can't figure out why I turned
> to Linux like I have.  Can anyone enlighten me? ;-)
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> Ric Whitney

================

Because I don't have a copy of M$ that I can load! And
LINUX does most everything I want straight from a live
cd's. This machine's hd died and I removed it. Running
Puppylinux or Knoppix from cdrom, and I am here,   FREELY

Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only amateur radio ops could get out,
and talk to others.
No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee
New hand helds start at about $85 and up for single band transcievers
at many dealers, just fyi.

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.
Complete functional operating systems free if downloaded.