OT: new car advice

Robert N. Eaton moth28 at cox.net
Sat Nov 26 16:05:10 MST 2005

Dan Lund wrote:
> Typical Electrolysis doesn't yield enough hydrogen to power a vehicle.
>  It requires alot of charge, alot of surface area on the plates, and a
> nice sized holding tank.
> Typically you lose energy in the electrolysis process, also.  I've
> done it with a 12v battery while doing some experiments with
> introducing hydrogen into a carberation system of a car.
> (supplementary, not as a primary fuel)  The problem I ran into was
> that I needed a mass of plates and the electrodes deteriorate.
>
> I had my best luck with galvanized stainless steel as an electrode.
> On 11/26/05, Robert N. Eaton <moth28 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> How about electrolysis (is that the word I want?) of H2O powered by
>> solar cells?

What I had in mind was a solar farm with primary purpose of cracking
water into H and O.  One could sell both products.

I realize that the initial investment in photo-voltaic cells is pretty
hefty. Is their working life long enough to make the idea economically
feasible over an extended time frame? This idea has been rattling around
in my head since I attended the first Solar Energy Symposium in, I
think, 1953.

Bob Eaton