usenet about to die?

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 22:37:57 MST 2005

In a message dated 11/23/2005 7:00:20 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
kevin_brown at qwest.net writes:

>So does usenet.  That is what each group essentially is.

Acknowledged, but:

-Do most clients present them as a single heirarchical set, or as a list of
individual groups?  I think the former, except when you're selecting groups to
add to your read-list.  I don't recall when I was using Thunderbird, it
offered you an easy way to skip to subgroups.

-If you want a new subgroup, it needs propogation.  Using a tag allows you to
avoid the wait and incomplete propogation period.

-Making extra groups could lead to massive overkill.  If we have, for
example, alt.comp. periphs.mainboard.abit, do we *need* 30 model-specific sub-groups?
 It might also lead to people missing messages of relevance unless they're
cross-posted to every subgroup.

I'm just trying to figure out how Usenet could be made as appetizing as
web-based forums without breaking it