Keep Exim4?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Nov 29 23:09:37 MST 2005

Am 23. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Miles Beck so:

> Is there any reason to keep Exim on my Debian box?

You want an MTA, even if it's not exim.

> Will cron job emails get sent to pine without it?
>
> I don't really need a mail server so wanted to remove it if it was not
> needed for something else.

You can choose the option for local delivery only and then set exim to not
run in daemon mode as well as not having inetd listen for it.

See update-rc.d for making sure exim doesn't get started at boot time and
update-inetd to make sure it's not in inetd's conf.

Use -f on update-rc.d  to disable an installed package. You might have to
disable exim in update-inetd again after exim upgrades. I've had to do
that once or twice, but think they fixed it.

If you run your own mail daemon elsewhere you might want to setup exim to
use that other daemon as a smarthost. You still don't need exim to run.
exim would only deliver locally orignating mail.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/