32-bit x86 >4GB RAM

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 21 17:05:22 MST 2005

I don't even think that it's that obtuse...

generall it's only /etc/redhat-release

CentOS
# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 3.5 (Final)

RedHat
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 6)

easy enough to cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release.saved

echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 5)" \
> /etc/redhat-releaase

install Oracle

mv /etc/redhat-release.saved /etc/redhat-release

then you can use CentOS kernel with hugemem configuration without paying
$1749 per year for RHEL-AS

Craig

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 15:41 -0800, Dan Lund wrote:
> Oracle supports RHEL, and SuSE, whatever their enterrprise edition is
> called.  I don't ever change the kernel on those Oracle machines, they
> are pretty much installed, hardened, and that's it.
> I've tried installing Oracle10g on CentOS, but it gives odd errors
> during installation.  (I worked with our DBAs on installing it)
> I turned around, slapped RHEL3 on, and blam... worked.
> I wouldn't doubt if there is some Copyrighted string it looks for in a
> text file somewhere just to make sure it's running on an "official"
> RHEL distribution.
> Oh well, it's not my money.  It was a management decision to hold my
> hand back from Shoehorning Oracle into something else. (the last
> bastion of Red Hat in our shop)
>
> --Dan
>
> On 11/21/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > ----
> > Oracle suggests 'Enterprise' form of Linux. I know that Red Hat is
> > indifferent to processor/binary type but does have 'huge memory/multi-
> > processor (more than 2)' support in 'Advanced Server'
> >
> > If you are going to roll your own kernel, you have lost support
> > anyway...consider something like CentOS and then you can install any
> > base.
> >
> > I imagine something similar exists with SuSE 'Enterprise' products but I
> > am not SuSE knowledgable.

believed to be clean.