32-bit x86 >4GB RAM

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 21 17:16:24 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 15:41 -0800, Dan Lund wrote:
> Oracle supports RHEL, and SuSE, whatever their enterrprise edition is
> called.  I don't ever change the kernel on those Oracle machines, they
> are pretty much installed, hardened, and that's it.
> I've tried installing Oracle10g on CentOS, but it gives odd errors
> during installation.  (I worked with our DBAs on installing it)
> I turned around, slapped RHEL3 on, and blam... worked.
> I wouldn't doubt if there is some Copyrighted string it looks for in a
> text file somewhere just to make sure it's running on an "official"
> RHEL distribution.
> Oh well, it's not my money.  It was a management decision to hold my
> hand back from Shoehorning Oracle into something else. (the last
> bastion of Red Hat in our shop)

----
of course, there's nothing to say that you can't test out the equivalent
CentOS hugemem kernel to see if it helps (there wouldn't be any less
support than if you built your own kernel)...

RHEL 4 update 2
# rpm -qp --changelog \
http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-
hugemem-devel-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL.i686.rpm \
|less

or for RHEL 3 update 6
# rpm -qp --changelog \
http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/3/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-
hugemem-2.4.21-37.EL.i686.rpm \
|less

provides the change logs but a simple change to 'ivh' would install it
and you could test it out.

Craig

believed to be clean.