32-bit x86 >4GB RAM

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:41:21 MST 2005

Oracle supports RHEL, and SuSE, whatever their enterrprise edition is
called.  I don't ever change the kernel on those Oracle machines, they
are pretty much installed, hardened, and that's it.
I've tried installing Oracle10g on CentOS, but it gives odd errors
during installation.  (I worked with our DBAs on installing it)
I turned around, slapped RHEL3 on, and blam... worked.
I wouldn't doubt if there is some Copyrighted string it looks for in a
text file somewhere just to make sure it's running on an "official"
RHEL distribution.
Oh well, it's not my money.  It was a management decision to hold my
hand back from Shoehorning Oracle into something else. (the last
bastion of Red Hat in our shop)

--Dan