What to use instead of Samba?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Nov 21 10:29:35 MST 2005

If you want 'easy Samba', why not try SWAT?  Web-based Samba
configuration...  Makes basic tasks very simple.  I'm not sure if it
would help with your iptables problem (I don't know anything about
iptables), but it makes it easy to avoid typos in config files and
other annoying errors.    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-
HOWTO-Collection/SWAT.html  On Debian, you can 'apt-get install swat'
and you're set.  (Well, you also have to enable it in inetd, but that
takes 5 seconds.)

It sounds like you've been wrestling with this long enough that you
might be more comfortable with the Samba config files than I am, so
please disregard this idea if so.

alex