What to use instead of Samba?

Lyndon Tiu ltiu at alumni.sfu.ca
Mon Nov 21 09:59:39 MST 2005

1) Your setup has been complicated by the fact you have iptables.

Can you try just for a second, disable iptables and see if Samba works. This is a very basic troubleshooting step that should be done to determine if it's iptables or Samba that's wrong.

If it is iptables that's wrong, then you CANNOT blame Samba!

2) My extremely basic "allow everyone access" smb.conf:

workgroup = ltiu
server string = Samba Server
guest user = ltiu
map to guest = Bad Password
security = user
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
[share]
        path = /tmp
        public = yes
        browseable = yes
        only guest = yes
        writable = yes

3) Open up ports 135,138,139 and 445 in iptables to two way traffic to allow Samba to work.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:52:15 -0700 plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us wrote:
> Shawn Badger wrote:
>
> >I use Samba with several of my Windoze boxes including XP with no
> >problems at all. I even have the users home directories with roaming
> >profiles hosted on my Linux server.
> >

> OK, well I might relent and try it again if someone would
> forward to me an exact copy of their SMB iptables rules and
> their smb.conf file -- I'd be willing to plug these in and give
> them a shot (making only obvious changes).  I didn't consult
> the PLUG list because I was busy going through vast numbers
> of Google hits on "path was not found" and I really doubt
> anyone can add to the list of "did you try this?" items.
>
> P.S. - Lyndon, thanks for your ftp suggestion too.
>
> Thanks,
> Vic

Lyndon Tiu