Media Server

Craig Brooksby rcbrxb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:02:15 MST 2005

Here's a newbie question:

I installed slimserver on my Mepis box, and am able to stream MP3s to
other computers on my home network, on port 9000.  Very slick.
(http://slimdevices.com/)

Naturally, I want to play my music at work.  I am a Cox customer.  My
media player should be able to connect to http://my.ip.add.ress:9000
from my office desktop -- right?  Can't do it.

I know I'm on DHCP.  As long as my Mepis box is running, it should
hold onto that IP address.  Right?

I suppose this means my office, or Cox, or both, have that port
blocked?  Or am I just stumbling in the dark?

If anyone else has installed slipserver, or has other insight, please chime in.

Craig