Media Server

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Nov 16 11:10:15 MST 2005

Craig Brooksby wrote:

>Here's a newbie question:
>
>I installed slimserver on my Mepis box, and am able to stream MP3s to
>other computers on my home network, on port 9000.  Very slick.
>(http://slimdevices.com/)
>
>Naturally, I want to play my music at work.  I am a Cox customer.  My
>media player should be able to connect to http://my.ip.add.ress:9000
>from my office desktop -- right?  Can't do it.
>
>I know I'm on DHCP.  As long as my Mepis box is running, it should
>hold onto that IP address.  Right?
>
>I suppose this means my office, or Cox, or both, have that port
>blocked?  Or am I just stumbling in the dark?
>
>If anyone else has installed slipserver, or has other insight, please chime in.
>
>Craig

Not sure what cox blocks these days. Check out dyndns.org or one of the
alternatives. You can get clients that automatically check in there, so
you're dns will get updated. You'll end up with craigb.dyndns.org (or
whatever) which will point to whatever you've been given by dhcp. So at
least you can deal with *that* aspect of the problem fairly easily. As
for blocked ports... dunno. Could also be security features in your
cable modem/router/access point.

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com