web building software

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Thu Nov 3 06:29:03 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 23:09, Josh Coffman wrote:
> --- Bill <wrpr at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Before I commit to changing my OS can somebody tell
> > me if there is Linux software similar to FrontPage
> > for the development and management of a website?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bill>
>
> nvu is a web authoring program. eclipse has web
> authoring add-ons, and is a pretty nice app too. you
> can goto http://gnomefiles.org/ for different linux
> apps. some may be gnome only.
>
> I don't know about wysiwyg in linux, but you are
> really better getting away from frontpage even if you
> stay on windows. Trust me on this one, frontpage is
> evil.

I'll second that.  And it's not from pro-Linux bias, either.  For a
while I was webmaster for my consulting group.  The previous webmaster
used FP and the group bought me a copy.  (Yes, I do maintain a couple of
Windows machines for client work.)  One of the things I did  was accept
resumes from people and post them to our site.  Many people would give
me resumes  nicely formatted in Word.  I'd try to cut and paste to Front
Page and it would mangle the formatting horribly - even the simple
stuff, like heading fonts.  Try fixing about 15 headings, one click at a
time.  Yecch!  One of the supposed benefits of MS products is that
they're supposed to play well together, but that's often not the case.

Vaughn