web building software

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Wed Nov 2 23:44:39 MST 2005

>> Before I commit to changing my OS can somebody tell me if there is
>> Linux software similar to FrontPage for the development and
>> management of a website?

> nvu is a web authoring program. eclipse has web authoring add-ons,
> and is a pretty nice app too.

Nvu isn't bad.  It is also cross platform, so unlike Frontpage, you can
use it on Windows/Linux/OSX.  It supports templating and you can lay
things out WYSIWYG style.

> you can goto http://gnomefiles.org/ for different linux apps. some
> may be gnome only.

just because they use gnome libs doesn't mean they only work if you are
using gnome.

> I don't know about wysiwyg in linux, but you are really better
> getting away from frontpage even if you stay on windows. Trust me on
> this one, frontpage is evil.

Yeah, frontpage specifically designs overbloated HTML that is really
only IE compatible.

> So here's where I'm not so popular on this list.. Although linux has
> got some really nice tools, I haven't seen anything close to visual
> studio for development. so far.

If it has all the features you are needing and others lack it, then so
be it.  Two ways to fix that in other IDEs (such as eclipse).  Put in a
FREQ for the missing feature and keep checking back.  Add in the feature
yourself and submit a patch.