Ghost equivalent for Linux

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Thu Jul 14 16:19:38 MST 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:11:42AM +0000, augie wrote:
> Hey Pluggers,
> Anyone know of a program that'll clone a hd like ghost? I'm trying to clone a
> hd that has xp on another box and then install linux to have a dual boot
> system or do I need to step away from the crack pipe?
> Has anybody done this before? Any pointers?

I've never used ghost, so I can't say it's a direct equivalent, but
I boot up on a Knoppix CD and use ntfsclone and ntfsresize.
(In one mode, ntfsclone is like dd, but it is ntfs-specific and only
copies allocated blocks.)  ntfsresize shrinks or grows ntfs.  I've
used these programs several times without and issues.

-Dale