Ghost equivalent for Linux

Richard Wilson r.wilson9 at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 17:35:25 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 03:11 -0700, augie wrote:
> Hey Pluggers,
> Anyone know of a program that'll clone a hd like ghost? I'm trying to clone a
> hd that has xp on another box and then install linux to have a dual boot
> system or do I need to step away from the crack pipe?
> Has anybody done this before? Any pointers?
> TIA

Augie and All,

I recommend the Linux System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/) and
have used it to fix both Linux and Windows (GASP!) systems.  It has some
fun documentation on how to mount Windows partitions read/write under
Linux (it boots a memory resident version of Gentoo).  (You can then
manipulate ANYTHING in the registry using vi or your editor of
choice...)  It also has GNU PartImage (a very nice backup utility) and
GNU PartEd (partition Editor) with the QT PartEd graphic Front end.
These tools allow you to manipulate partitions (including Windows
partitions) without the expense of Partition Magic.  Of course since
it's open source, you are warned to back up your partitions before you
try changing them.

Richard Wilson
r dot wilson 9 at cox dot net