Ghost equivalent for Linux

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Jul 14 08:31:34 MST 2005

augie wrote:
> Hey Pluggers,
> Anyone know of a program that'll clone a hd like ghost? I'm trying to clone a
> hd that has xp on another box and then install linux to have a dual boot
> system or do I need to step away from the crack pipe?
> Has anybody done this before? Any pointers?
> TIA
Hey Augie,

dd (linux utility) can clone a hd. I don't know about Ghost, so I can't
compare the two.

If your new drive is larger than the one you're cloning, it's pretty
trivial. Simply put the two drives on the same machine, boot a live CD,
then: "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024" from the command line. That
copies the entire primary master (if=/dev/hda) to the primary slave
(of=/dev/hdb) drive, leaving the excess capacity on the target drive
available for a Linux install.

Let us know if you need further guidance.
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;