Ubuntu install problem

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Tue Jul 12 13:32:51 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 10:07, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > (Excuse the weird format, I forwarded the message that bounced earlier.)
> >
> > On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 21:46, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> >
> >>Hello everyone!
> >>
> >>I'm glad to report that I finally got that troublesome machine running
> >>(it was indeed the CPU, as someone suggested) and I got Ubuntu installed
> >>and running on it.  I'm a bit new to the Debian side of the Linux world,
> >>and I'm having a little trouble with this apt-get stuff.
> >>
> >>Specifically:
> >>I need some version of emacs!!!  (I dislike vi intensely - yes I do
> >>know how to use it- and nano reminds me too much of WordStar.)  I
> >>finally figured out that I needed to apt-get a packaged called
> >>xemacs21-gnome-mule.  This took a long time and eventually it ran into
> >>trouble with a package called gdk-imlib (something about an MD5SUM
> >>mismatch.)  This sounds like it's related to  images, something I could
> >>probably do without to get emacs.  So now I've got a boatload of files
> >>in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory, but no blessed xemacs
> >>executable.  I figured that maybe I need to do a dpkg -i xemacs21, but I
> >>get the following error:
> >>
> >>dpkg: error processing xemacs21 (--install):
> >> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> >>Errors were encountered while processing:
> >> xemacs21
> >>
> >>So what am I missing?  If I must get that gdk-imlib file, is there a way
> >>I can fetch it from somewhere else?
> >>
> >>Thanks!!
> >>
> >>Vaughn
> >>

> I'm afraid I'm of little help with apt-get at this point. However,
> have you tried using the Synaptic Package Manager (GUI, under
> System->Administration)? If you're not bent on using the CLI, I'd give
> it a try. It's very nice.
>
> Mine shows that there a gdk-imlib1 package available on the Ubuntu
> repository, if that's what you're missing at this point. You'll also
> find an assortment of emacs21 packages there. I'd try fetching the
> application from there.

I tried gdk-imlib1 through synaptic, and it was still hosed.  But I was
able to download emacs21. Hooray!  I didn't really care which one I got
(emacs or xemacs.)  I was just looking for xemacs21 because I saw a
reference to it in a message I found on Google.  I suppose I have to add
a different repository if I'm going to get a couple of imlib.

Thanks,
Vaughn