Ubuntu install problem

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Jul 12 10:07:45 MST 2005

Vaughn Treude wrote:
> (Excuse the weird format, I forwarded the message that bounced earlier.)
>
> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 21:46, Vaughn Treude wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone!
>>
>>I'm glad to report that I finally got that troublesome machine running
>>(it was indeed the CPU, as someone suggested) and I got Ubuntu installed
>>and running on it.  I'm a bit new to the Debian side of the Linux world,
>>and I'm having a little trouble with this apt-get stuff.
>>
>>Specifically:
>>I need some version of emacs!!!  (I dislike vi intensely - yes I do
>>know how to use it- and nano reminds me too much of WordStar.)  I
>>finally figured out that I needed to apt-get a packaged called
>>xemacs21-gnome-mule.  This took a long time and eventually it ran into
>>trouble with a package called gdk-imlib (something about an MD5SUM
>>mismatch.)  This sounds like it's related to  images, something I could
>>probably do without to get emacs.  So now I've got a boatload of files
>>in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory, but no blessed xemacs
>>executable.  I figured that maybe I need to do a dpkg -i xemacs21, but I
>>get the following error:
>>
>>dpkg: error processing xemacs21 (--install):
>> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
>>Errors were encountered while processing:
>> xemacs21
>>
>>So what am I missing?  If I must get that gdk-imlib file, is there a way
>>I can fetch it from somewhere else?
>>
>>Thanks!!
>>
>>Vaughn

I'm afraid I'm of little help with apt-get at this point. However,
have you tried using the Synaptic Package Manager (GUI, under
System->Administration)? If you're not bent on using the CLI, I'd give
it a try. It's very nice.

Mine shows that there a gdk-imlib1 package available on the Ubuntu
repository, if that's what you're missing at this point. You'll also
find an assortment of emacs21 packages there. I'd try fetching the
application from there.

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;