swapping a cable modem

Lynn David Newton lnewton at mvista.com
Fri Dec 9 11:47:09 MST 2005

I'm sure there are other lists where I could ask this,
but the folks here tend to have ready answers for this
sort of thing:

I've been "renting" the cable modem Cox supplies. I
just bought one of my own so I can save that charge.

Is there anything I have to do besides swap it in place
to make it work? Like maybe let them know the modem's
MAC address has changed? I assume they can read that
address from their end, because it's their hose coming
in through the wall. I don't have any idea how to read
it on my side, or whether it's even necessary.

Incidentally, like most people on this list, my modem
goes to a hub, not directly to a computer.

Obviously, I have to contact some phone number at Cox
to tell them to come get their modem and to stop
billing me for theirs. I can deal with that. I just
want to know what I have to do to get the old one out
and the new one in as quickly and with as little pain
as possible.

Thank you.

--
Lynn David Newton