OT: processor fan question

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Thu Dec 8 13:59:28 MST 2005

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com>
To: Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com>
Subject: Re: OT: processor fan question
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:58:30 -0700

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 19:49, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 17:06, Technomage wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 14:20, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > > Hello everyone:
> > > Here's a hardware question for you.  I have a machine running a 900 MHz
> > > Athlon.  Its processor fan is making lots of noise and sounds like it's
> > > about to die.  I tried to find a new Socket A-style heat sink at Fry's
> > > but they didn't have this ancient piece of hardware.  On the good side,
> > > the dying fan on this heat since is a standard size (60 mm), and is
> > > fastened to the heat sink with screws.  Is there any I shouldn't just
> > > replace the fan with a new one?  The reason I ask is because the old fan
> > > has weird blades - smaller than on a standard fan, and more of them.
> > > The new fan, however, seems to blow much more air than the old one does
> > > (this was with its back to the floor, to simulate the restriction of the
> > > heat sink.) My theory is that the smaller blades may make the cooling
> > > more uniform, but I don't know if a 900 MHz processor is all that hot
> > > that I even have to worry about it.
> > > Vaughn
> > >
> > we have one of those units over here. fan replacement is easy and most
> > standard muffin fans of that size will be more than sufficient for a 900 MHz
> > processor. in fact, I may have a couple of extras if you want them. :)
> >
> > TMH
>
> Thanks, I've already got one,  so I'll just swap it in.  I  was just
> noticing how different it was from the original, and wondered if it was
> a big deal.  Shawn's reply answered my question about that (probably was
> supposed to be quieter, but certainly not now!)  And to Scott, yes, I
> removed the fan and cleaned off the top of the heat sink - still as
> noisy as heck.
>
> Vaughn

Just a postscript on this: I finally got around to trying changing out
the fan, which took a bit of jury rigging, since the newer fan was a bit
thicker than the old.  (I bored out the holes on one side of the fan
housing and used nylon spacers to provide the right distance for the
screws.)  Sad to say, I believe I've smoked the processor because it no
longer boots, not even with the original fan.  I don't think there are
any connectors or jumpers I could've knocked loose that would prevent it
from booting.  The system does turn on, and the drives spin up, there's
just no video out (it's on the board), not even any beep codes.  I don't
think I could've static-zapped it because I had a wrist strap.  I did
have to use a little bit of force to get the screws into the heat sink,
but I doubt it was enough to crack anything, especially compared to what
I've had to do in the past to change power connectors and RAM modules.
Oh well.  Anybody have an old circa-900 MHz processor you'd like to sell
me?  :-(

Vaughn

 sorry to say, I think I've smoked the processor.