Recommend Samba Book?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 22 13:34:56 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 10:40 -0700, Craig Brooksby wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> (I have already Googled on this.)
>
> I want to use my Mepis Box as a print / file server for the other Win
> XP boxen in the house.  Samba is in Mepis but I lack basic knowledge
> of networking.  Any recommendations on a good Samba book, as in step
> by step, basic concepts first?
>
> Or are there other Samba learning resources you can recommend?  My
> immediate needs are modest -- just get the home computers talking to
> each other -- but eventually, I want to understand Samba from the
> ground up, more thoroughly.
----
as Eric pointed out - the ONLY sources for documentation to refer to on
Samba is the official samba documentation.

They have 2 books (dead tree form or you can view as html online or
download as pdf).

The Samba-3-HowTo is a tremendous resouce. It is a reference.

The Samba-3 by Example is what you want to look at. Instead of being a
reference manual per se, it allows you to choose a type of network
scenario that most matches yours and get the configuration file(s) and
the reasons for them.

Craig