Linux newbie at 39th & Camelback

stu wien33 at cox.net
Tue Aug 16 13:38:51 MST 2005

Hi Vic;
	The Distro that I usually start Newbies out on is MEPIS 3.3.1 mostly because
it's so easy to use. I've even convinced a few people to dump WindowsXP for
it. Still something of a newbie myself, I've been using it since it was
released, and have had very little trouble with it. The Firefox browser comes
pre-bookmarked to Shoutcast.com, and a few other media sites as well. It
streams in through either XMMS or one of the other players with very little
configuration - I listen to it myself all the time. Kstream ripper saves the
broadcasts in neatly organized files that are fairly easy to understand and
replay later, once you figure out how to enter the streaming audio IP address
into it. For a person who just wants to browse the web, check and answer
e-mail, listen to music, watch dvds, and .wmv files (you have to install the
mplayer "essential codecs" from the Mplayer site), it works as well as
Windows ever did for me. It also comes with Open Office suite, Gimp, some
games, and a lot of other useful stuff upon install, and loading other
packages with either Kpackage manager or Synaptic is about as easy as falling
off a log.
	It took my son over two months to convince one of his programmer friends to
even *try* the MEPIS Live CD, and now the guy uses it for all his 3D artwork
after compiling the Panda Engine to run on it.
	No muss, No fuss, and with the formation of the DCCA, things will only get
better for users of Debian flavors!
	Stu