Linux newbie at 39th & Camelback

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 14:09:44 MST 2005

--- stu <wien33 at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi Vic;
> 	The Distro that I usually start Newbies out on is
> MEPIS 3.3.1 mostly because
> it's so easy to use. I've even convinced a few
> people to dump WindowsXP for
> it. Still something of a newbie myself, I've been
> using it since it was
> released, and have had very little trouble with it.
> The Firefox browser comes
> pre-bookmarked to Shoutcast.com, and a few other
> media sites as well. It
> streams in through either XMMS or one of the other
> players with very little
> configuration - I listen to it myself all the time.
> Kstream ripper saves the
> broadcasts in neatly organized files that are fairly
> easy to understand and
> replay later, once you figure out how to enter the
> streaming audio IP address
> into it. For a person who just wants to browse the
> web, check and answer
> e-mail, listen to music, watch dvds, and .wmv files
> (you have to install the
> mplayer "essential codecs" from the Mplayer site),
> it works as well as
[snip]

I'd have to strongly second the Mepis suggestion. I
started with it myself(also noob) after trying several
distros.

I've read Ubuntu is supposed to be really easy and
I've tried it some. Other than the Gnome interface,
seems comparable to Mepis. Mepis was definitely easier
to install and get started on though. Even loaded my
found my Broadcom wifi and setup ndiswrapper for me.
Ubuntu has a seperate install from Live cd.

The Mepis LiveCd also helps you recover from config
mistakes really easily.

I'm on Fedora now and found Yumex is a good GUI
package manager, but Synaptic is still better and is
included in Mepis.