Linux newbie at 39th & Camelback

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Mon Aug 15 17:49:21 MST 2005

I have a young friend whom I have helped with computer stuff for the
past 10 years or so,
but since we're on opposite ends of town right now it's a little tough.
He is on Windows XP
which breaks often, and he's just trying to break into Linux.  He's
especially interested in
receiving radio streams.  He's on disability, has some learning problems
and has virtually no
money.  Since he's unable to be employed, a large part of his life
consists of valiantly trying
to tinker with his PC.  He schleps his computer box to Scottsdale and
back on the bus,
because he has one other friend there who helps him generously with old
hardware and
with Windows installs.  I recently set him up with a Kanotix CD from
which he's trying to
get a hard-disk install done, as I try to coach him over the phone ...

I just thought I'd put this out, in case anybody out Maryvale way would
like to pitch in
occasionally.  If so, please email me and I'll fill you in.

Thanks,
Vic