Hewlet Packard ZE4145 laptop

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
05 May 2003 23:43:55 -0700

--=-N9crcNJqZSFh7+ddUffg

> I'm not sure I follow you here.  I like OSX because I can run=20
> commercial mac software AND all my linux software - hell if I wanted to=20
> I could fire up VPC and run *gasp* Windows software too.  How are X=20
> apps second class citizens?  X11 runs nicely in OSX, and you can call=20
> your X apps from the command line or from within the X11 app by a=20
> simple mouse click.

Well, if you consider that fine - then why not fire up Mac-on-Linux and
you can run all your Mac OS apps on Linux?  It's the same thing, the X11
apps aren't entirely integrated into everything the way Mac OS apps
are.  I think by saying "from within the X11 app" you've acknowledged
that they aren't first class citizens in the Mac OS world.

> So you can run Linux and all your linux software, but now you're=20
> locking yourself out of some REALLY nice OSX apps (iTunes, iMovie,=20
> mail.app, iChat, etc).  I'm too addicted to the OSX apps now because=20
> they 'just work'.   Kind of like running stable tree linux apps.

'just working' is important, but I think that for the most part Linux is
pretty much there now.  I think with GNOME 2.x on the desktop a lot of
those issues have been fixed.  Not all of them, but many off them.  I
would say that printers and drivers are noticeable exceptions (except on
Mac hardware where there aren't that many drivers).

As far as the Apps you mentioned, I like the Linux versions better.=20
iTunes is nice, but Rhythmbox plays OGGs too.  iChat is nice, but GAIM
supports several different IM protocols and encryption over all of
them.  mail.app is nice, but I can never have a mail client without
virtual folders again, I'm addicted to Evolution.

Basically it all comes down to the Apps.  I like my Linux apps, and some
of them have warts, but many have key features that I use on a daily
basis.  If I'm going to use all Linux apps on Mac OS X all I get is
shadows behind the windows (which is really cool).

> If you're going to run linux on PPC, yes Yellowdog is definately the=20
> distro of choice.  Nice!

Don't tell the Debian guys that ;)

		--Ted

--=-N9crcNJqZSFh7+ddUffg