Evolution Virtual folders was Re: Hewlet Packard ZE4145 laptop

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 May 2003 00:12:06 -0700

I'm beginning to play around with evolution, and migrating all mail from=20
maildir to mbox format, but saw not compelling reason to migrate from kma=
il. =20

However, I have no clue how to utilize the virtual folders.  Could anyone=
 give=20
a brief rundown of their use and how it applies to real world use?  This=20
could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

anthony

On Monday 05 May 2003 11:43 pm, Ted Gould thought they were smart and wro=
te:
> > I'm not sure I follow you here.  I like OSX because I can run
> > commercial mac software AND all my linux software - hell if I wanted =
> > I could fire up VPC and run *gasp* Windows software too.  How are X
> > apps second class citizens?  X11 runs nicely in OSX, and you can call
> > your X apps from the command line or from within the X11 app by a
> > simple mouse click.
>
> Well, if you consider that fine - then why not fire up Mac-on-Linux and
> you can run all your Mac OS apps on Linux?  It's the same thing, the X1=
1
> apps aren't entirely integrated into everything the way Mac OS apps
> are.  I think by saying "from within the X11 app" you've acknowledged
> that they aren't first class citizens in the Mac OS world.
>
> > So you can run Linux and all your linux software, but now you're
> > locking yourself out of some REALLY nice OSX apps (iTunes, iMovie,
> > mail.app, iChat, etc).  I'm too addicted to the OSX apps now because
> > they 'just work'.   Kind of like running stable tree linux apps.
>
> 'just working' is important, but I think that for the most part Linux i=
> pretty much there now.  I think with GNOME 2.x on the desktop a lot of
> those issues have been fixed.  Not all of them, but many off them.  I
> would say that printers and drivers are noticeable exceptions (except o=
> Mac hardware where there aren't that many drivers).
>
> As far as the Apps you mentioned, I like the Linux versions better.
> iTunes is nice, but Rhythmbox plays OGGs too.  iChat is nice, but GAIM
> supports several different IM protocols and encryption over all of
> them.  mail.app is nice, but I can never have a mail client without
> virtual folders again, I'm addicted to Evolution.
>
> Basically it all comes down to the Apps.  I like my Linux apps, and som=
> of them have warts, but many have key features that I use on a daily
> basis.  If I'm going to use all Linux apps on Mac OS X all I get is
> shadows behind the windows (which is really cool).
>
> > If you're going to run linux on PPC, yes Yellowdog is definately the
> > distro of choice.  Nice!
>
> Don't tell the Debian guys that ;)
>
> =09=09--Ted

--=20