Hewlet Packard ZE4145 laptop

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 5 May 2003 23:28:50 -0700

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 11:10 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
> You could just run Linux on your PPC, and then you get flexibility...
> think that is the biggest thing that I don't like about OS X.  It's
> great if you want to be like Jobs when you grow up, but if you want
> some
> flexibility you need to go with something else.  And I still feel like
> all my X windows applications are second class citizens.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  I like OSX because I can run
commercial mac software AND all my linux software - hell if I wanted to
I could fire up VPC and run *gasp* Windows software too.  How are X
apps second class citizens?  X11 runs nicely in OSX, and you can call
your X apps from the command line or from within the X11 app by a
simple mouse click.

> Plus, there is something to be said for freedom (on an ethical level).
> Love the Apple hardware, and the software is beautiful, but I still
> prefer to run Linux.

So you can run Linux and all your linux software, but now you're
locking yourself out of some REALLY nice OSX apps (iTunes, iMovie,
mail.app, iChat, etc).  I'm too addicted to the OSX apps now because
they 'just work'.   Kind of like running stable tree linux apps.

> OT: I just got my Yellowdog 3.0 CDs.  Anyone interested?  It's really
> nice :)

If you're going to run linux on PPC, yes Yellowdog is definately the
distro of choice.  Nice!