Tired of Being Screwed By Cox (no pun intended)

Voltage Spike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:39:17 -0700

--B4IIlcmfBL/1gGOG

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:21:27PM -0700, Eric Thelin wrote:

> It was submitted to slashdot and here by a co-worker of mine.  He is
> angry because cox is not only blocking port 25 but also adding relay
> filters to only allow email sent with the from address set to use your
> cox.net address.  So he can't send out emails from his personal domain
> or a domain used for a home based business in any way except web mail
> that avoids smtp until off of the cox network.

I cannot see what benefits I would gain from running my own SMTP
server, but that doesn't mean there are none.

However, I do not use the cox.net email account.  As you may have
noticed, I use the fantastic fastmail.fm[1] service and would prefer
to receive mail there.  I would think that this situation would be
fairly common (e.g., hotmail, yahoo, etc.).

Oh, well.  If it is truly bad for the customer, I hope that Cox
realizes the error of their ways.

[1] Being such a fantastic email service, they offer SMTP services on
ports 25 and 26, as well as an SSL authentication on port 465.
However, I would still prefer to send my email through the closest
possible server as opposed to routing everything through New York.

--=20
                                                           Voltage Spike
      ,,,
     (. .)