Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:33:10 -0700

I don't know, when I run Mandrake update I get the hour glass for a couple of minutes then nothing.  I've tried it 4 times using both KDE and IceWn desktops.  I can browse out to the internet with no problem so my network connection is good.  I should get some more time to work on it this weekend.  I did download the Knopix last night and will burn the CD and try it too.

On the Win98 front, I help manage out network here with about 60 Win98 SE desktops.  Many of our users are completely computer illiterate.  (Some still think the monitor is the computer.)  We rarely have a system go down.  All in all, I've found Windows 98 SE to be an extremely STABLE and user friendly system in spite of all the hype otherwise.

-----Original Message-----
From: tickticker [mailto:tickticker@cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 5:15 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

I just installed mandrake 9.1 and it's rock solid.  I have put it thru a
heinous workload too.  I have a couple mandrake 9.0 boxes that have been up
over a year.  I also have 2 RH7.3 servers with BOTH Gnome and KDE.. this
support email, web and database for over 1400 users.  Neither gui has crashed
once in the 5 months it's been up.  These are stock, untweaked installs of
the whole gui system.  Mandrake's update works great on all my mandrake
systems (5).

I would suggest there is something other than the distributions at fault here.
Perhaps your package choices or netwrking setups.  My wifes 98SE box crashes
daily or more.  I think it's a breeze kicking up.  Or she moved the mouse.  I
can't tell.  Oh yeah, I have installed 98SE more than 20,000 times, and it
never suprises me anymore how fair weather of a system it is.

anthony

anthony