Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
13 Jun 2003 11:01:26 -0700

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 07:12, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> I'm still here because I don't like to give up on something before I exhaust all possibilities.  I keep hearing from a few people how wonderful and easy to use Linux is and I'd like to see it.  I agree with the concept of open source.  Unfortunately I have yet to find Linux to be so fantastic or experience all the negative I've heard from this group about Microsoft and Red Hat.

-----
Using Linux isn't quite as easy as using Microsoft Windows.

Nobody here is bashing RedHat.

I take some exception to your statement that 'you agree with the concept
of open source.' The concept of agreeing with open source means
accepting it's shortcomings and helping out in whatever small way that
you can to make it better, if not by programming, by helping write
documentation or by reporting problems to the developers. The saying
that I continually keep coming back to is that the choice is ours to
either curse the darkness or light a candle.

In reality, there isn't all that much difference between the distro's.
They differ on install tools, configuration tools, device handling, file
locations, etc. but they all pretty much have the same engine and
daemons. The Linux desktop is in such a rapid state of development that
what you see on RH 9 today barely resembles the RH 7.3 of a year and a
half ago so the possiblities that you exhausted a year ago have largely
become irrelevant anyway.

Anyone that seriously wants to evaluate Linux on the desktop should get
a new, very decent computer and install the latest version of whichever
distro they choose.

Craig