mysql vs. postgresql

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:02:50 -0700

I don't know about PostgreSQL, but I do know the current version of MySQL does not support stored procedures and triggers and it will be at least 2 versions out before support for sub queries is included.  The version with sub query support is supposed to go into early alpha testing late this Summer.  They also discourage the use of joins but with a little work joins usually work ok.  I have also found that when I run the MySQL Command Center it hogs all the memory on the computer and does not release it well when closed.

I have to use it in a database where some of the tables have over 3,000,000 records and normalization is nonexistent.  Unfortunately I cannot change the structure.  Given the choice I would prefer one of the three big commercial databases (Oracle, Informix or SQL Server) over MySQL as it is lacking too many features I like to use.  Maybe by next years release (v5) things will change.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Starke [mailto:meg@lilly.csoft.net]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 10:57 AM
To: plug
Subject: mysql vs. postgresql

Mighty tempting subject line for some of you, but
here is where I am at:

I am looking for some "recent" unbiased comparisons
for the two db servers. I have been tempted to port
over to postgresql after years of faithful service
w/mysql, but have yet to find a reason.

I have read many articles, but none appear to be up-to-date.
They all complain about mysql not having this and that. That
was 2 versions ago.

Again, intelligent recent unbiased comparisons is what I am looking for.
I also want to keep in mind the average installation is not
handling the transactions one see's down there at NASDAQ:
I am thinking of a db server for a small company (50-250 people),
business apps (GNUe) and web work (apache/perl|php).

v/r
-mike