using dd to backup entire hard drive

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:30:00 -0500

Actually, IMHO, Norton Ghost is a reasonably decent piece of software,
especially in that it lets you ghost stuff over a network, which is useful
for backups, if , for example, you have multiple machines and only one with a
CD burner.  And the DOS it uses to boot is not MSDOS - I think it's Caldera's
version.  The one idiot thing about it is that they make you re-enter the
"license key" when restoring a partition from an image.  I think that's an
anti-piracy thing, though it's one of the lamest anti-piracy schemes I've
ever seen.  They even make you enter the key when replicating a partition on
the SAME machine!

Vaughn Treude