using mirrordir as a high-availability/recovery tool - HOWTO

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:25:45 -0800 (PST)

Howdy.  Some of you may recall a while back I
asked some questions about how I might use
mirrordir as a disaster recovery tool.  I was
asking this after I ran a software upgrade on a
RH server and blew it up, due to my own
incompetence.  So now I have set this mirrordir
method up on my laptop, and am preparing to
deploy it on that  postfix mail server so I won't
have to rebuild it next time I flub.  As I
usually do, I create a "HOWTO" document outlining
how to do this, so that others might have an
easier time.  Before I expose this document to
the world, I'd love it if some of you might have
a glance at it and tell me where I've strayed.  I
know it *works*, because I'm using the method on
my Mandrake 8.2 laptop (I can boot to either of 2
partitions, if I blow up one, I can switch), but
what I can't be certain of is am I making any
typical *nix admin mistakes?  (I've only a year
or so of Linux under my belt)

Thanks in advance for any help!

the HOWTO is at:

http://www.geocities.com/scottlhenderson/mirrordir_4_OS_recovery.html