Kylix 3 install kills MD9 rpm database

Gene Holmerud plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:59:13 -0800 (PST)

I have Mandrake 9.0 (purchased PwrPak) installed on
this VAIO lap. When I try to install Kylix (purchased
Pro, ver 3) using the setup script, it fails with
message " Error -10 when trying to install Kylix" in
the pop-up window and this message in the terminal
window: "Unable to install RPM file:
'setup.data/packages/kylix3_main_program_files-1.0-1.i386.rpm'
"

Subsequent rpm requests indicate a messed-up rpm
database.  For example:
# rpm -qa
rpmdb: Program version 4.0.14 doesn't match
environment version 3.1.14
error: db4 error(22) from dbenv->open: Invalid
argument
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid
argument (22)

Attempting to do an "upgrade" of MD9 just to recover
the rpm db result in a similar msg.

Attempts to use the fix in Mandrake FAQ (Incident
#35649) fail as well:

rpm]# db_dump Packages-ORIG |db_load Packages
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/bin/.libs':
File exists

(I also determined that 'Packages' had not been
altered)

The only "recovery" is a full install of MD9
resulrpm]# db_dump Packages-ORIG |db_load Packages

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/bin/.libs':
File exists
rpm]# db_dump Packages-ORIG |db_load Packages
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/bin/.libs':
File existsting in a lot of lost effort.

Any help available? Thanks in advance,
Gene Holmerud