Networking - Windows & linux

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Jan 2003 14:47:51 -0700

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 14:35, Stephen Andert wrote:
> BTW, Thanks for your continued help.  It is one of the reasons I like
> working with Linux even when there are challenges.
>
> >Bad gateway address on linux box.
> >
> >make sure that /etc/sysconfig/network has...
> >
> >GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> I corrected that.  I had tried that before and had been experimenting. If I
> understand things correctly, the linux machine does not need to know that
> part of the physical path to the router (192.168.2.1) has to go through the
> Windows pc.  Is that right?
>
> >and that /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0 doesn't have any
> >gateway address in it.
> That file is under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory and does not
> have a gateway entry.
>
> >then...
> >service network restart
> >and see what happens
> Well, 1 step closer I think since I am now able to ping 192.168.2.2
> successfully.
>
> I think my problem is in getting Win98 to use both network devices.  When I
> disconnect the USB nic, winipcfg shows the 10/100 lan card, when the usb nic
> is connected and working, it does not.  When I look at the network
> properties, everything looks ok, IP address and everything are there.
>
> Any ideas on the Windows side?
------
You can't have 2 network interfaces on the same subnet.

If your wireless USB on Win98 is 192.168.2.50/255.255.255.0 then your
10/100 cannot be 192.168.2.anything

I guess I'm not clear what you are trying to accomplish with the 2
different network interfaces on the Win98 machine so it's hard to help.

As for linux...

be sure that /etc/resolv.conf contains...

nameserver   206.80.192.1
nameserver   204.147.80.5

although most of the wireless access points/routers 'proxy' the dns if
they are configured to provide DHCP/DNS so you could probably use
nameserver 192.168.2.1 as well

and then try to ping outside your lan (now that the gateway address is
your wireless base station...

ping 206.80.192.1 (if it works, you have internet)

Craig