Networking - Windows & linux

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Jan 2003 13:20:06 -0700

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 12:44, Stephen Andert wrote:
> I'm trying to move my whole family to linux and the best way I can do that
> is to make all the same resources (internet, decent games for kids, e-mail,
> etc) available on a linux machine so they can start using it.
>
> I've now gotten Red Hat reinstalled (couldn't get X to work with 8) and have
> the network card setup (correctly I think) to be in a position to see the
> rest of the network.
>
> Linux (.2) is connected to a hub.
> Also connected to the hub is a Win98 pc (.51).
> Win98 machine also has usb wireless adapter (.50) talking to
> Wireless access point (.1)
>
> There are other machines involved, but the key thing I'm shooting for is
> internet access from linux (.2) which can only be done through the Win98 pc
> right now.  I also want to be able to login to the linux machine from other
> pc's on the network using telnet sessions.  I think I have everything I need
> to get these done, but am getting stuck at one detail which I hope the list
> will forgive the questions -
>
> When I connect the USB Wireless Access Point (.50) on the Win98 machine,
> winipcfg doesn't "see" the physical NIC (.51)?  Any tips?
>
> Feel free to take the tips offline if this will start a holy war.

-----
1 - you didn't give us enough fill on your network. Are you trying to 2
NIC's on the Win98 machine in order to use Windows Internet Connection
Sharing (Win98SE option) - if so...you will make this excessively more
difficult. If not, what is the router...the Wireless Access Point?

2 - usb wireless is not the easiest thing to use on linux. When you boot
up, does dmesg|less give you any listing that it found the wireless
adaptor? what does ifconfig tell you?

it would help if you would...

windows 98: ipconfig /all > c:\win.txt
            route print >> c:\win.txt

linux     : ifconfig -a > /tmp/linux.txt
            route -n >> /tmp/linux.txt

and then show us the outputs of both

Craig