Networking - Windows & linux

Stephen Andert plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:44:30 -0700

I'm trying to move my whole family to linux and the best way I can do that
is to make all the same resources (internet, decent games for kids, e-mail,
etc) available on a linux machine so they can start using it.

I've now gotten Red Hat reinstalled (couldn't get X to work with 8) and have
the network card setup (correctly I think) to be in a position to see the
rest of the network.

Linux (.2) is connected to a hub.
Also connected to the hub is a Win98 pc (.51).
Win98 machine also has usb wireless adapter (.50) talking to
Wireless access point (.1)

There are other machines involved, but the key thing I'm shooting for is
internet access from linux (.2) which can only be done through the Win98 pc
right now.  I also want to be able to login to the linux machine from other
pc's on the network using telnet sessions.  I think I have everything I need
to get these done, but am getting stuck at one detail which I hope the list
will forgive the questions -

When I connect the USB Wireless Access Point (.50) on the Win98 machine,
winipcfg doesn't "see" the physical NIC (.51)?  Any tips?

Feel free to take the tips offline if this will start a holy war.

Thanks
Stephen