Networking - Windows & linux

mazdaracer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:39:41 -0800

I've got a similar situation. But I did it a bit differently.

NOTE: the DSL/modem routers usually come with a 4 port hub

INTERNET - [DSL or Modem Router] -(public addr)- Linux box/firewall --
(internal network)
                   |                                     |
(192.168.x.x)
                   + xp box 1                            |
                   |                                     +-D-Link D 614
wireless AP & 4 port hub
                   + xp box 2                                     |

+-company notebook and room
                   + xp box 3                                       for
3 more

The internal net is 192.x.y.z. The DLink is 192.x.y.3. The 2nd internal
eth on the linux box is
192.x.y.10 and is labeled as the gateway for the DLink. The DLink is
running DHCP so anybody can come in w/o any major problems (I dual boot
the notebk). The lan off the DLink is NOTE, 192.x.A.0, note the
different subnet.

This has been working very well for me! The XP's are my son-in-law's
business boxes and that's his decision.

I've also been thinking of putting in a hub or switch off my internal
Linux NIC for a bit more flexibility and see if I can get the company
boxes behind the firewall.

I've yet to set up samba. Right now my ftp is broken! arrggg!
pete