Proposal for non-profit

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:08:38 -0700

On Sunday 19 January 2003 10:26, Craig White wrote:
> thanks...that's a start.
>
> It seems to me that if linux were well known, I wouldn't have to go
> through this. The truth is, that it is a great unknown to them...I buil=
> a Shuttle S40G and put a pretty much raw RH 8.0 (save for the changes
> necessary to make it work with the Sis built-in video and adding a
> linux=3Dbiosirq command) and dropped it in their office to open Word/Ex=
cel
> documents, internet, email and it printed to their Toshiba Copier. So i=
> isn't well known to them but they did notice that it worked and it
> worked well and it pretty much looked like Windows...not that I conside=
> that a selling point. It did pretty much pass the first test and that
> was is it a computer that I can figure out how to use. (a 3 button mous=
> is going to confuse the crap out of any Macintosh user, regardless of
> whether it is linux or Windows).
>
> As for licensing...didn't I beat that drum enough?

I was just trying to word it in such a way that the idea of using Linux w=
as=20
not questioned by pointing to Windows as a fall back in case Linux fails.

> BUT...
>
> The one objection I have heard thus far is the lack of resources for
> linux...typical windows users doesn't see linux applications on the
> shelf at CompUSA etc. and don't see the vast amount of support people a=
> they see for Windows. Thus, I really should add a section for linux
> except that it brings them to a resources...I think I have covered the
> software issue but the support issue is worrisome to him (the board
> president). The expressed fear is that if I fall out of the picture, ho=
> will they manage?

They don't see much Linux software on the shelf because most of it is Fre=
e on=20
the web.  I know, that is a hard sell sometimes.  I have experienced it f=
irst=20
hand when someone looks at me with a straight face and says "If it's free=
, it=20
must be junk," literally.  (This was expressed in a discussion on=20
implementing CVS!)  The community network of support in the Free Software=
=20
culture is hard for people outside to understand.

> So, who else can I point to as support resources besides RedHat? I
> suppose that Compaq (actually HP now, or Dell or IBM or whoever I get
> the server hardware from) will support linux if I get it 'pre-installed=
'
> on the server...not that I see much in value of having them pre-install
> linux on a server. Who else can I list as support resources?

-Ask around PLUG.  I am sure several people, like Bill Lindley and others=
,=20
would be happy to be listed as possible support service people for your=20
client.
-Point to PLUG resouses.  Show them the calendar where professional=20
presentations are made.  Show them the email list archives where question=
s=20
are solved and answered and no cost.

> lastly,
>
> I have been working hard on learning the details of X windows stuff and
> trying to be cautious about staying with the open source stuff if at al=
> possible. I really prefer Acrobat Reader to the open source PDF program=
> and that's why I've been trying to figure stuff out without installing
> things such as realplayer & flash. I am trying to reconcile the free
> Flash/Acrobat Reader/RealPlayer versus any available open source
> counter-offering. The way I figger things, the open source stuff is goo=
> enough for me to use and thereby, good enough for them to use. As a
> non-profit, every penny that they spend is a penny that isn't available
> to help their clients. They are in it for the long haul.

Very good.  I am will read more of your document later today.

Alan