Proposal for non-profit

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
19 Jan 2003 21:40:53 -0700

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 12:08, Alan Dayley wrote:
> On Sunday 19 January 2003 10:26, Craig White wrote:
> > thanks...that's a start.
> >
> > It seems to me that if linux were well known, I wouldn't have to go
> > through this. The truth is, that it is a great unknown to them...I built
> > a Shuttle S40G and put a pretty much raw RH 8.0 (save for the changes
> > necessary to make it work with the Sis built-in video and adding a
> > linux=biosirq command) and dropped it in their office to open Word/Excel
> > documents, internet, email and it printed to their Toshiba Copier. So it
> > isn't well known to them but they did notice that it worked and it
> > worked well and it pretty much looked like Windows...not that I consider
> > that a selling point. It did pretty much pass the first test and that
> > was is it a computer that I can figure out how to use. (a 3 button mouse
> > is going to confuse the crap out of any Macintosh user, regardless of
> > whether it is linux or Windows).
> >
> > As for licensing...didn't I beat that drum enough?
>
> I was just trying to word it in such a way that the idea of using Linux was
> not questioned by pointing to Windows as a fall back in case Linux fails.
>
> > BUT...
> >
> > The one objection I have heard thus far is the lack of resources for
> > linux...typical windows users doesn't see linux applications on the
> > shelf at CompUSA etc. and don't see the vast amount of support people as
> > they see for Windows. Thus, I really should add a section for linux
> > except that it brings them to a resources...I think I have covered the
> > software issue but the support issue is worrisome to him (the board
> > president). The expressed fear is that if I fall out of the picture, how
> > will they manage?
>
> They don't see much Linux software on the shelf because most of it is Free on
> the web.  I know, that is a hard sell sometimes.  I have experienced it first
> hand when someone looks at me with a straight face and says "If it's free, it
> must be junk," literally.  (This was expressed in a discussion on
> implementing CVS!)  The community network of support in the Free Software
> culture is hard for people outside to understand.
>
> > So, who else can I point to as support resources besides RedHat? I
> > suppose that Compaq (actually HP now, or Dell or IBM or whoever I get
> > the server hardware from) will support linux if I get it 'pre-installed'
> > on the server...not that I see much in value of having them pre-install
> > linux on a server. Who else can I list as support resources?
>
> -Ask around PLUG.  I am sure several people, like Bill Lindley and others,
> would be happy to be listed as possible support service people for your
> client.
> -Point to PLUG resouses.  Show them the calendar where professional
> presentations are made.  Show them the email list archives where questions
> are solved and answered and no cost.

-----
good ideas...

anyone want to register with me as being available to provide on site
support (near 16th St & Glendale) for Redhat as backup to me?
services/software I intend to install/support...
DHCP/DNS/LDAP/Squid/Horde-IMP/Sendmail/IMAP/MySQL and whatever we end up
doing for server side & client side for MySQL/possibly LTSP & probably
more. Please don't send a resume at this time but if you have a web site
that describes your availability, provide the URL & also your phone
number & hourly rate.

I briefly considered using Debian instead of RedHat but I think that
RedHat will bring comfort...after all, perception is important. I am
also comfortable with Redhat though I have been using apt-get with
Redhat lately and I'm comfortable enough with that.

And I didn't want to cover this but since you have mentioned this
again...I have already made the decision to point out that the hardware
will allow us to change directions to Windows if necessary (which it
won't be). Why?
 - To offer a level of comfort to for them to allow me to spend money on
the hardware necessary for the infrastructure and the time to put this
into place.
 - To continue the message that it is not that I am against Windows, it
is that I see that their best path is linux.
 - Because it's true

Craig