Proposal for non-profit

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
19 Jan 2003 10:26:56 -0700

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 23:13, Alan Dayley wrote:
> On Saturday 18 January 2003 21:53, Craig White wrote:
>
> 4th paragraph on first page:
>
> "It is also conceivable that most of these open source applications can be
> used on Microsoft Windows OS platform. Apache, MySQL, PHP, perl etc. can all
> be used within Microsoft Windows. While I am not eager to make this a working
> model, it will offer us a backup plan if we were to run into a roadblock (not
> that I forsee anything representing a substantial problem)."
>
> I see this as a huge opening for an MS enthusiast to say "then what do we need
> Linux for."  I can see that you want to show a backup plan exists and that
> Open Source exists for the Windows platform.  However, I would word the last
> sentence so something like:
>
> "However, Linux is a well known, stable platform for these applications and
> has none of the licensing costs that would be required for operation on a
> Microsoft OS."
>
> Feel free to use that quote as you will.  Or not.
------
thanks...that's a start.

It seems to me that if linux were well known, I wouldn't have to go
through this. The truth is, that it is a great unknown to them...I built
a Shuttle S40G and put a pretty much raw RH 8.0 (save for the changes
necessary to make it work with the Sis built-in video and adding a
linux=biosirq command) and dropped it in their office to open Word/Excel
documents, internet, email and it printed to their Toshiba Copier. So it
isn't well known to them but they did notice that it worked and it
worked well and it pretty much looked like Windows...not that I consider
that a selling point. It did pretty much pass the first test and that
was is it a computer that I can figure out how to use. (a 3 button mouse
is going to confuse the crap out of any Macintosh user, regardless of
whether it is linux or Windows).

As for licensing...didn't I beat that drum enough?

BUT...

The one objection I have heard thus far is the lack of resources for
linux...typical windows users doesn't see linux applications on the
shelf at CompUSA etc. and don't see the vast amount of support people as
they see for Windows. Thus, I really should add a section for linux
except that it brings them to a resources...I think I have covered the
software issue but the support issue is worrisome to him (the board
president). The expressed fear is that if I fall out of the picture, how
will they manage?

So, who else can I point to as support resources besides RedHat? I
suppose that Compaq (actually HP now, or Dell or IBM or whoever I get
the server hardware from) will support linux if I get it 'pre-installed'
on the server...not that I see much in value of having them pre-install
linux on a server. Who else can I list as support resources?

lastly,

I have been working hard on learning the details of X windows stuff and
trying to be cautious about staying with the open source stuff if at all
possible. I really prefer Acrobat Reader to the open source PDF programs
and that's why I've been trying to figure stuff out without installing
things such as realplayer & flash. I am trying to reconcile the free
Flash/Acrobat Reader/RealPlayer versus any available open source
counter-offering. The way I figger things, the open source stuff is good
enough for me to use and thereby, good enough for them to use. As a
non-profit, every penny that they spend is a penny that isn't available
to help their clients. They are in it for the long haul.

Craig