Debian X config problems

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:43:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 14. Jan, 2003 schw=E4tzte Vaughn Treude so:

> I'm trying to install Linux on a Compaq Presario 900 notebook.  I discove=
red
> to my dismay that there was a problem with one of its chipsets, and that =
all

Only one on a compaq? Your lucky day :).

> the newer distributions (that is, anything with a 2.4 kernel) lock up on =
the

Don't RedHat, SuSE, etc. still have 2.2 kernels available at install?

Woody, the most recent debian, has 2.2 and 2.4 kernels available.

> install.  (What happens is that they boot from CD but at some point the C=
> drive ceases functioning.)  Following the advice of some posting on the n=
et,
> I used a network-based install of an older version of Debian (2.2.19 kern=
el.)
>  This worked fine, and then I did an "apt-get install" on all the X-relat=
ed
> components I could think of.  I ran the configuration, but I can't get X =
up
> and working.  The system has an ATI Rage Mobility U1 AGP video adapter an=
> xf86cfg doesn't recognize it.  From a web search, it seems that this adap=
ter
> is supported in Linux, but I suppose I need a newer version of X.  Accord=
ing
> to my error log file, it's 4.1.0.1, released 21 December 2001.  Should I =
try
> downloading a newer version from the XFree86 website, or is there some wa=
y to
> get Debian's site to give me a newer of X without having to upgrade to a
> newer version of the distribution?  The latter sounds like a cleaner
> approach, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the Debian world.

http://people.debian.org/~branden/xsf/xsf.html

Looks like 4.2.1-4 is in unstable.

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release stable
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release testing
Pin-Priority: 70

Package: *
Pin: release unstable
Pin-Priority: 80
$ egrep "testing|unstable" /etc/apt/sources.list | grep debian.org
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib
non-free

Make that preferences file, add those 4 sources to your sources.list, do an
"apt-get update", then "apt-get -t unstable install xserver-xfree86".

Maybe try "-t testing" first, which should get you 4.2.1-3.

If you haven't already dist-upgraded to the current stable, please do that
first.

apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Make sure you have security in your sources.

$ grep security /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  When you are tired of choosing the lesser of two evils,
#  Vote Cthulhu for President!