Debian X config problems

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:01:20 -0700

I will leave the X config upto the Debian guys, but I do have a thought for=
=20
you. Did you try, if it's possible, to disable acpi on the install?
I know some of the newer distros allow you to pick a kernel without ACPI wh=
ich=20
seems to hang a few of the older laptops and desktops I've tried to install=
=20
SUSE on.

SuSE 8 and 8.1 have 'Safe Settings' you might try, if that's your distro.

nathan

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 17:37, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Hello you Debian gurus out there:
> I'm trying to install Linux on a Compaq Presario 900 notebook.  I
> discovered to my dismay that there was a problem with one of its chipsets,
> and that all the newer distributions (that is, anything with a 2.4 kernel)
> lock up on the install.  (What happens is that they boot from CD but at
> some point the CD drive ceases functioning.)  Following the advice of some
> posting on the net, I used a network-based install of an older version of
> Debian (2.2.19 kernel.) This worked fine, and then I did an "apt-get
> install" on all the X-related components I could think of.  I ran the
> configuration, but I can't get X up and working.  The system has an ATI
> Rage Mobility U1 AGP video adapter and xf86cfg doesn't recognize it.  From
> a web search, it seems that this adapter is supported in Linux, but I
> suppose I need a newer version of X.  According to my error log file, it's
> 4.1.0.1, released 21 December 2001.  Should I try downloading a newer
> version from the XFree86 website, or is there some way to get Debian's si=
te
> to give me a newer of X without having to upgrade to a newer version of t=
he
> distribution?  The latter sounds like a cleaner approach, but I'm pretty
> clueless when it comes to the Debian world.
>
> Thanks,
> Vaughn Treude

=2D --=20
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov