SCO Wants us to pay per cpu ...

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:55:53 -0700 (MST)

Am 14. Jan, 2003 schw=E4tzte George Toft so:

> Xerox sued Apple over the Intuitive Interface and lost because too much
> time had elapsed since the infringement began.  In my humble legal
> studies, I learned if an injured party doesn't seek remedy within a
> reasonable period (judged to be two years in when dealing with the
> Federal Government), then the injured party is assumed to accept the
> infraction, and they lose their right to pursue further remedies.  This
> is why the ISA is Industry Standard - IBM didn't enforce its IP.  The
> industry adopted it, and it became a standard.

The clock resets if the patents are acquired by a new organization, ala gif
patents.

Is that also what happened with jpg recently? Or was that a "we just
realized..."?

In any case, SCO would be toast because it would also prevent them from
selling GNU/Linux software and services.

The real issue is more like "what would it cost to purchase Caldera/SCO?".

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,
#  as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. - der.hans